Welcome to the Volunteer Fire Police Association of the State of New York
This site is for Fire Police in New York State and is managed by Fire Police in the State of New York.
VFPASNY Award nominations are due by no later than March 31, 2019. Revised forms are available via links on the AWARDS section or from the Files section.
SAFETY ALERT - ROAD FLARE IGNITION
The Office of Fire Prevention and Control's Investigation Branch recently investigated a fire that originated within the cargo area of a law enforcement vehicle. The investigation concluded that road flares, stored within that area, were ignited the result of inadvertent contact between the striker (red phosphorous) and ignition button of separate flares.
Such incidents may occur where flares are stored in ANY TYPE of emergency vehicle. The Office of Fire Prevention and Control has developed the attached bulletin, with recommendations to minimize the probability of encountering an inadvertent flare ignition. You can also access that bulletin at:http://www.dhses.ny.gov/ofpc/alerts-bulletins/information/documents/2019/flares.pdf
Check out the Lavender Ribbon Report: Best Practices for Preventing Firefighter Cancer (Link)
The "Move Over Law
" has been expanded to include vehicles displaying blue and green lights. A formal legal opinion can be found in the "General Information" section of the "Files"
2019 Issues of United Concern (Link)
The 2017 Annual Convention was held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Lake Placid, NY.
Congratulations to the new slate of Officers. The complete listing of Officers has been updated in the Officers Section.
May 2-4 2019 VFPASNY Fire Police Convention
Hilton Garden Inn
1290 Arsenal Street
Watertown NY 13601
May 14-16 2020 VFPASNY Fire Police Convention
May 13-15 2021 VFPASNY Fire Police Convention
Spring 2019 Quarterly Meeting
April 5, 2019 E-Board Meeting 7:00 PM at Cronomer Valley FD, 296 North Plank Road, Newburgh, NY 12550
April 6, 2019 General Membership Meeting 9:00 AM ($10/person which includes breakfast items) at Cronomer Valley FD, 296 North Plank Road, Newburgh, NY 12550
1287 Route 300
When making reservation, let them know you are with the NYS Fire Police Association
Cost for a Single or a Double is $74/night
FUTURE QUARTERLY MEETINGS
Fall 2019 Quarterly Meeting
Oct 4, 2019 E-Board Meeting 7:00 PM. (Brockport)
Oct 5, 2019 General Membership Meeting (Brockport)
(Hotel TBA At Later Date)
The Annual Thomas F. With Fire Police Training & Education Seminar will be held at the NYS Fire Academy in Montour Falls, NY on March 16, 2019.
The Tom F. With Seminar drew quite the crowd and covered several key topics.
Tom F. With opening the seminar. A packed house at the 2019 Tom f. With Seminar.
This section will be used to list upcoming training in the various regions. If an associated flyer was received, you can look in the File tab on the left side of this page and find it there. If there is no flyer, all the available information will be on the Calendar. Please click on the date in the calendar to obtain any available additional information.
2019 Annual Ken Merriman Fire Police Training Seminar
hosted by HVVFA on April 27, 2019 beginning at 8:45 am (8:00 am registration) at the Latham Fire Department located at 226 Old Loudon Road in Latham, NY. (Link to Flyer
Fire Police Review Classes
- Centereach FD, located at 9 S Washington Avenue, Centereach, NY - February 19, 2019 beginning at 7:00pm
- Westhampton Beach FD at 92 Sunset Avenue, Westhampton Beach, NY - February 22 beginning at 7:00pm (Pre-registration is not required)
- Medford FD at 171 Oregon Avenue, Medford, NY - April 17, 2019 from 7:00pm-10:00pm (Pre-registration is not required)
- Riverhead FD at 540 Roanoke Avenue, Riverhead, NY - May 15, 2019 from 7:00pm-10:00pm (Pre-registration is not required) - Suffolk County Fire Academy (SCFA) link
21 Hour Fire Police Course
Note: Seats are limited, pre-registration required - Contact SCFA in advance to register (registration is available 60 days prior to the event) -Pre-Requisites: ICS 100 and ICS 700.
- Centereach FD, located at 9 S Washington Avenue, Centereach, NY - Phone # 631-588-8652
- Wednesdays at 7:00 pm - February 6, 13, 20, 27, and March 6 with the last hands-on training class at 9:00 am on Saturday, March 16 at Suffolk County Fire Academy.
- West Sayville FD, located at 80 Main Street, West Sayville, NY - Phone # 631-567-9464
- Wednesdays at 7:00 pm - April 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30 with the last hands-on training class at 9:00 am on Saturday, May 5 at Suffolk County Fire Academy.
- Deer Park FD located at 94 Lake Avenue, Deer Park, NY - Phone # 631-667-3500
- Wednesdays at 7:00 pm - July 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30 with the last hands-on training class at 9:00 am on Saturday, August 10 at Suffolk County Fire Academy.
- Riverhead FD, located at 540 Roanoke Avenue, Riverhead, NY - Phone # 631-727-2751
- Wednesdays at 7:00 pm - September 4, 18, 25, October 2, and 9 with the last hands-on training class at 9:00 am on Saturday, October 12 at Suffolk County Fire Academy.
Suffolk County Fire Academy FP Field Day - September 7, 2019 from 8:00 am - 12:00 pm at the Suffolk County Fire Academy (Tentative)
HazMat Refresher - online
2019 HazMat Refresher Course is available at http://elearn.scfa-li.org
The Committee list has been updated for the 2018 -2019 year. Please check it to verify any committee that you may be on.
The schedule has been updated.
Please click on the date in the calendar to obtain any available additional information about the event.
As of July 17, 2018 the VFPASNY has a New Deceased Membership Notification Forms and they are available under "Files", Please discard any other forms.
As of July 12, 2018 the VFPASNY has a New Membership Applications and they are available under "Files", Please discard any other membership application.
All Membership Applications are to be sent directly to our newly Appointed Membership Secretary Jon Wicks.
The Legislative Issues of United Concerns affecting the Fire Service can be found in the Membership section of the Files Section.
The 50 years Certificate application have been updated.
An article about the ANSI Regulation being made easy is in this section.
The application form for membership in the Ladies' Auxiliary has been added.
The information for all three awards available to be given out at the Annual Convention is in the files section.
A suggested Oath of Office is in the files section.
You will find all the forms under the "Files" section. Unfortunately, I cannot change the title "Files" to "Files/Forms" but please be aware that all forms are listed there.
HOW TO BECOME A FIRE POLICE OFFICER
There have been several inquiries concerning training to become a fire police officer. This is a certified New York State course offered through your local County Coordinator. Please have your fire chief contact your County Coordinator's office to ascertain when and where the next course will be given in your county, If you still need assistance, you can look in the "Files" section to see which Area you reside in and contact the Director for that Area using the "Officers" section.
Please send all calendar events, forms, notices to firstname.lastname@example.org. All calendar events will be added as soon as they are received.